By Janice Randall Rohlf
Two heat waves in June? Global warming is real! Fortunately, ice cream is real too and really, really good. In Falmouth (and one very close by) you can count on these spots to never disappoint. Much of the ice cream is homemade, right on the spot. Cool and creamy treats don’t get any better!
Ben & Bill’s Chocolate Emporium http://benandbills.net
A fixture on Main Street since 1992, Ben & Bill’s actual birth date is 1956, when Paul and Mary Trahan’s handmade candies and chocolates got their own aisle in Vineyard Haven’s Ben Franklin store. Thirty-seven years ago, ice cream was added to their product line. Needless to say, they know their stuff. Current owners Benjamin and William Coggins, the Trahans’ nephews, are upholding Ben & Bill’s reputation for satisfying the sweet tooth of young and old.
- The skinny: 64 flavors of homemade hard-ice cream. Homemade waffle cones. Range of sizes: kiddies (1 scoop), smalls (1 1/2 scoops), medium (2 scoops) and up.
- Favorite flavors: Mint Oreo, Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Dough
- Most unusual flavor: Lobster!
- Good to know: Vegan ice cream and vegan chocolates are available.
- Impossible to resist: To place your ice cream order, you’ll walk by all manner of handmade candies and chocolates. Favorites like peanut brittle, cappuccino truffles and pecan turtles tempting you to scoop up a box.
Ghelfi’s Candies and Ice Cream https://shipchocolates.net
This family owned and operated chocolatier is presently guided by Scott Ghelfi, a third-generation candy maker who opened this Main Street store in 1987.
- The skinny: Offers premium New England-based Gifford’s ice cream in a wide variety of flavors. Also partners with Falmouth-based Smitty’s (see below) on a few flavors to which Ghelfi’s adds their own fudge and chocolate.
- Favorite flavors: Toasted Coconut, Cookie Dough, Sea Salt Caramel Truffle
- Most unusual flavor name: Muddy Boots (vanilla ice cream with caramel ripple and brownie bites
- Good to know: Not only are the waffle cones homemade, but you can also have them dipped in chocolate.
- Impossible to resist: The premium handmade chocolates and candies for sale like almond butter crunch and cream & butter fudge, as well as a whole slew of “penny” candy.
This local favorite started by Richard Smith more than 25 years ago has four Cape locations. All the ice cream at the flagship shop in East Falmouth. You can’t miss the sunny yellow shutters with ice cream cone-shaped cutouts.
- The skinny: In addition to ice cream, Smitty’s has ice cream cakes to order, waffle cones made in house, frappes, banana splits, raspberry & lime rickeys, ice cream sodas and root beer floats.
- Favorite flavors: Coffee Oreo, Shark’s Tooth, Coconut
- Most unusual flavor: Banana Oreo, Amaretto Cherry Chip, Watermelon Sherbet
- Good to know: Nauset Mud (coffee ice cream, fudge swirl, almonds and chocolate chips) was so popular that Smitty’s added it in their other stores, named for the appropriate local beach: Poppy Mud for Pomponesset Beach, Millway Mud for Millway Beach, and Waquoit Bay Mud for Waquoit Bay
- Impossible to resist: A sundae with homemade whipped cream!
Jimmy’s Classic Eats https://www.jimmysclassiceats.com
This eatery has been serving the world since 1969 with food on the go close to the ferry terminal in Woods Hole. It is also conveniently located at the end of the “Shining Sea” Bikeway. Jimmy’s now offers craft donuts made in-house daily in exciting flavors like Maple Pig Candy, Margaritaville, S’More and Razzgasm Fudge.
- The skinny: 32 flavors of all natural, premium ice cream. Homemade waffle cones and Jimmy’s sprinkles. Vegan options available.
- Favorite flavors: Cake Batter, Chocolate Peanut Butter
- Most unusual flavor: Not a flavor, exactly, but definitely unusual is the Woods Hole in One, your favorite donuts turned into a hot fudge sundae with a scoop of ice cream, chocolate or caramel sauce, whipped cream, walnuts and a cherry.
- Good to know: For an instant party, get a tub of ice cream (2.5 gallons of your favorite flavor) that comes with 40 cups and spoons.
- Impossible to resist: A classic Jimmy Burger to go with your ice cream.
Somerset Creamery https://www.somersetcreamery.com
Although not technically in Falmouth, this family-owned shop that serves homemade ice cream is so close to the town line (and so good!) that we had to include it.
- The skinny: Founded in 1937 in Somerset, Mass., and on the Cape in this location since 1997. Sundaes, frappes, malts and more in addition to ice cream.
- Favorite flavors: Cranberry Bog (local cranberries, walnuts, craisins, dark chocolate), Blueberry Pie, Coffee Oreo
- Most unusual flavor: Peanut Butter Jelly Time (peanut butter ice cream with Raspberry filled dark chocolate truffles)
- Good to know: In the fall, ask for their special Indian Pudding fall flavor, a take on the classic New England dessert flavored with cinnamon, nutmeg and molasses.
- Impossible to resist: Homemade waffle cones and bowls—you’ll smell them cooking as soon as you step out of your car!